DDN is The Leading Big Data Storage Supplier to Data-Intensive, Global Organizations
For over 15 years, DDN has designed, developed, deployed and optimized systems, software and solutions which enable enterprises, service providers, universities and government agencies to generate more value and accelerate time to insight from their data and information, on premise and in the cloud.
Organizations leverage the power of DDN technology and the deep technical expertise of our team to capture, store, process, analyze, collaborate and distribute data, information and content at largest scale in the most efficient, reliable and cost effective manner. Our customers include many of the world’s leading financial services firms and banks, healthcare and life science organizations, manufacturing and energy companies, government and research facilities, and web and cloud service providers.
DDN's sustained Vision and execution have made us the World’s largest privately held data storage company. Our technological and market leadership comes from our long term investments in leading edge research and development, our relentless focus on solving our customers’ end to end data and information management challenges, and the excellence of our employees around the globe, all relentlessly focused on delivering the highest levels of satisfaction to our customers.
We create and bring to market the most advanced and innovative technologies to solve our customers' complex Big Data challenges. Our technology centers are located in the US, France, Germany, Belarus, China, India and Japan, and our manufacturing facilities are based in the US. You can be proud to work for a dynamic company whose two founders are still actively involved in our operations, and which is helping improve the quality of human life throughout the World.
NATURE AND SCOPE OF JOB
As a member of the Data Direct Networks engineering team, will work as a system software developer on the Lustre parallel file system project, EXAScaler.
DDN is the lead storage provider for Parallel file systems empowering the largest supercomputer centers in the world. DDN has been the leader innovator contributing for the development of Lustre file system for the past 10+ years.
Lustre is Open Source, highly scalable, distributed, parallel file system software. This Lustre Developer position entails in large part supporting the production use of Lustre: troubleshooting, debugging, and assisting the technical support staff to isolate software issues in the product and then independently develop software patches to address these challenging problems on large scale systems. Additionally the position includes new software development to add additional features to Lustre, improve Lustre and other related software projects including ZFS, and develop file system monitoring applications.
The working environment is challenging and team-oriented. Position will involve occasional travel for meetings, training, and conferences. Will report to the Software Development Group Leader.
Will provide software expertise to achieve novel improvements and enhancements to existing software. Candidate will apply advanced knowledge to independently contribute to technical projects using creativity and imagination. The work may not be not clearly defined; the candidate is expected to be self-directed and show initiative in scoping out work and proposing solutions.
- Provide software development / engineering support for production file systems.
- Troubleshoot and debug Lustre and develop software patches.
- Contribute to the long term maintenance of Lustre and other related software projects
- Develop software (performance improvements, new features, etc.) for Lustre and related software projects.
- Develop file system monitoring applications.
- Troubleshoot and resolve (develop patches for) complex software issues which may also involve interfacing with various technical staff having different areas of expertise.
- Independently research, investigate and recommend new technologies for system-level software.
- Design and develop software to solve complex systems-level problems or provide expanded feature sets.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
- BS in computer science or a related field or equivalent level of demonstrated knowledge.
- Comprehensive knowledge of programming.
- Experience with interpreted languages such as Perl, Python, Expect, and Shell scripting.
- Experience programming in C.
- Experience in Linux command line environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively under general direction in a dynamic environment.
- Demonstrated effective analytical and problem-solving skills to contribute to creative solutions to complex problems.
- Experience with distributed version control software and open source, de-facto standards Continuous Integration stack (git, Jenkins, gerritt, JIRA, etc).
- Experience in software development in a team environment.
- Comprehensive knowledge of fundamental networking and distributed computing concepts.
- Ability to work off hours as needed for production problem resolution.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills and interpersonal skills necessary to work effectively with system administrators and system programmers, and to represent the laboratory in public forums such as open source projects and technical conferences.
- experience writing system software in a POSIX programming environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with minimal guidance in a dynamic environment with competing priorities.
- Significant experience providing innovative solutions to broadly defined tasks and problems.
- Demonstrated effective analytical and problem-solving skills for solving systems software problems.
- Advanced knowledge of bug reporting systems, and ability to report and track complex issues clearly and concisely.
- Advanced verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills necessary to work in a technical team environment.
DESIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
- MS in Computer Science or related field.
- Experience with Linux kernel software development.
- Experience with file system internals.
- Experience in a high performance computing environment.
DDN has a very strong orientation towards these 4 characteristics and any successful employee will demonstrate these capabilities:
Self-Starter - Takes independent action to identify and solve problems. Seeks out relevant information needed to make decisions. Gets involved with new initiatives.
Success/Achievement Orientation - Delivers quality results consistently. Targets, achieves (or exceeds) measurable results. Sets challenging goals, focuses on critical priorities, and is accountable.
Problem Solving - Recognizes problems and responds with a systematic assessment that identifies and addresses cause of issue. Practical, realistic, and resourceful.
Innovative - Builds and improves key business processes that enhance the effectiveness of DDN. Generates new ideas, challenges the status quo, and solves problems creatively.
DataDirect Networks, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law.”
Thank you for your interest in joining DDN!